All university employees must file a request for Travel Authorization (RTA) if they are off campus (i.e. outside the Austin metro area) during the normal workday for 4 hours or more to conduct university business. See Travel Requests for more information.

An estimate of travel costs to be reimbursed is also included on the RTA. Please complete an RTA at least 5 working days in advance of the trip to ensure the form receives approval before departure. No travel reimbursement will be generated without an approved RTA on file.

Faculty - Appropriate arrangements for disposition of the faculty normal duties must be made in advance of the travel. If classes are to be missed, a qualified member of the department’s instructional staff must be identified to and approved by the departmental Chairperson as a substitute instructor. Under normal circumstances, classes should not be rescheduled.

Business-related air travel policy change effective May 20, 2013

Travel Management Services:

Following an extensive review of travel procurement and reimbursement practices, UT System and representatives from all member institutions have decided to adopt a new travel management strategy. See FAQs. Effective May 20, 2013, all business-related air travel must be arranged through Anthony Travel or Corporate Travel Planners (two of our current university travel contractors).

The system-wide aggregate purchasing power will enable us to negotiate deeper discounts with our airline, hotel, and car rental partners. A robust Concur online travel tool with access to web, UT, State of Texas contract airfares, rental car, and hotel is available for cost saving and timesaving DIY browsing and reservations.

Faculty Travel Grants – available through the Graduate School. Applications must be submitted 2 weeks in advance of departure. Eligibility: All tenured and tenure-track faculty members (Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor), and emeritus faculty are guaranteed up to $1,200 per academic year for travel expenses to present original papers at scholarly and professional meetings.

Students – graduate students and undergraduate student organizations must file a RTA to be reimbursed for travel expenses. Approval by the faculty or staff sponsor is required prior to completing an RTA. See student travel policy and student organization travel policy for more information.