Email:lorenzo [at] cs [dot] utexas [dot] edu
Alvisi's research is in distributed computing, with a particular emphasis on issues of dependability.
UTCS Research Areas:
Selected Awards & Honors:
- ACM Fellow
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship
- NSF CAREER Award
- Two IBM University Partnership Faculty Awards
- Best paper award, 2005 and 2007 Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP)
- Best paper award, 2007 USENIX Technical Conference
- Best paper award, 2005 Symposium on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN)
- 2010 Outstanding Graduate Advisor Award
- 2009 College of Natural Sciences Teaching Excellence Award
- 2008 Texas Exes Teaching Award for Outstanding Professor for the College of Natural Sciences
- Visiting Scientist at Microsoft Research Asia in Beijing, China (Summer 2010)
- Visiting Professor at the University of Trento, Italy (Summer 2008)
- Visiting Professor at Sapienza University in Rome, Italy (Summer 2005)
- Visiting Professor at Cornell University (2002-2003)
- Making Byzantine Fault-Tolerant Systems Tolerate Byzantine Faults (with A. Clement, M. Marchetti, E. Wong, and M. Dahlin). In Proceedings of the 6th USENIX Symposium of Network Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI '09) , Boston, MA, April 2009, pp. 153-168.
- FlightPath: Obedience vs. Choice in Cooperative Services, with H. Li, A. Clement, M. Marchetti, E. Kapritsos, L. Robison, and M. Dahlin. In Proceedings of the 8th Symposium on Operating System Design and Implementation (OSDI Ô08) , San Diego, CA, December 2008, pp. 355-368.
- Zyzzyva: Speculative Byzantine Fault Tolerant Replication, with R. Kotla, M. Dahlin, A. Clement, and E. L. Wong. In Proceedings of the 21st ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2007), Skamania Lodge, Stevenson, WA, October 2007, pp. 45-58.
- BAR Fault Tolerance for Cooperative Services, with A.S. Ayer, A. Clement, M. Dahlin, J.P. Martin, and C. Porth. In Proceedings of the 20th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2005), Brighton, United Kingdom, October 2005, pp. 45-58.
- Separating Agreement from Execution in Byzantine Fault-Tolerant Services, with J. Yin, J.P. Martin, A. Venkataramani, and M. Dahlin. In Proceedings of the 19th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2003), Bolton Landing, NY, October 2003, pp. 253-268.
- Current member of the Editorial Board of ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, ACM Computing Surveys, and Springer-Verlag Distributed Computing
- Former member of the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (2005-2010)
- Program Chair for the 2009 Symposium on the Principles of Distributed Computing (PODC)
- Program Chair for the 2006 Dependable Computing and Communication Symposium (DSN/DCCS)
- General Chair for the 2011 International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN)
- Conference Program Committee member: SOSP (2005 and 2009), OSDI (2008), PODC (2003 and 2006) and DSN (2001 to 2007)
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the Bertinoro International Center for Informatics
- NSF GENI Research Coordination Working Group
- Steering Committee for DSN (2007-2008)
- Steering Committee for PODC (2010-2012)
- About Us
- Awards & Honors
- Undergraduate Program
- About Us
- Student Engagement and Support
- Graduate Program
- Masters Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Financial Information
- Prospective Students
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Curricular Practical Training
- Grad Student Talks
- Giving & Collaboration
- UTCS Direct