Investing in UTCS
Imagine being able to invest in tomorrow…
by investing in one of the most innovative and remarkable computer science departments in the nation.
Why Invest in UTCS?
Impact: The University of Texas at Austin Department of Computer Science (UTCS) is the largest in the nation and the only top ten ranked computer science department within 1,000 miles of Austin. UTCS is renowned for educational excellence, as a leading-edge research center, and is a critical economic force for Central Texas. UTCS’s estimated economic impact to the growth of Texas is $8.7 billion annually.1
Opportunity: Computing enables virtually every thriving business and scientific research sector. From nanotech and biotech to business practices, health care, financial services, transportation and energy, computing is the cornerstone of economic and scientific advancement. Discoveries and contributions from UTCS spawn entire industries.
Prosperity: Computer science is the largest and fastest growing job market in the sciences.2 The high-tech industry in Texas employs more Texans than oil, gas, and agriculture combined.3 Sloan Career Cornerstone Center reports “Computer scientists are expected to be among the fastest growing occupations through 2014."4
Discovery: Entrepreneurial and well-educated leaders are needed to conduct initiatives and build the world of tomorrow by inventing new paradigms and producing a workforce that can imagine and design the products and services that will shape our world.
Competitiveness: At the same time that computing job growth expands, there is a deficit of graduates to fill job openings. Attracting and retaining the best minds is key to addressing this deficit of technology talent as the United States is falling behind other countries in science and technology education.
Investment: Public funding contributes only 14% of higher education funding and continues to decline. Private contributions are an urgent, necessary and growing part of higher education.
Transformation: Experience the satisfaction, excitement and fulfillment at being a part of computing discovery for the future. Read about donors who report that making a difference with a gift is deeply satisfying and can be a transformative experience.
Giving provides a special opportunity for further engagement with The University of Texas at Austin and UTCS including:
- Event invitations and recognition at events ranging from casual lunches and mixers to formal dinners and reception
- Lunch with the department Chair
- Membership in UT donor recognition programs for specific types of gifts
- Tours of UTCS including robotics, visualization and virtual reality labs and the Mastodon cluster
- Donor recognition on websites, publications and in academic spaces
- Complementary subscriptions to announcements and publications
- Access to UTCS technical reports
- Industry collaborations for research and recruiting opportunities
- Networking opportunities
- Tax deductions and advantages
- Appreciation gifts
- Free parking on campus when visiting UTCS
- The Perryman Group, an economic consulting firm
- US Department of Commerce, “The Adequacy of the U.S. S&E Workforce”, John Sargent
- Houston Business Journal (July 11, 1997)
- Based on U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics (May 2006)
- About Us
- Awards & Honors
- Undergraduate Program
- About Us
- Student Engagement and Support
- Graduate Program
- Masters Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Financial Information
- Prospective Students
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Curricular Practical Training
- Grad Student Talks
- Giving & Collaboration
- UTCS Direct