Six named distinguished teachers at The University of Texas at Austin
AUSTIN, Texas—Six faculty members from The University of Texas at Austin have been selected for membership in the university’s Academy of Distinguished Teachers. The academy is intended to recognize and enhance teaching, particularly at the undergraduate level.
Honorees are chosen based on their outstanding teaching, their personal commitment to students and the learning process, and their ability to inspire and motivate students in the classroom.
The award demonstrates that these faculty members have earned the respect of peers, students and administrators for their outstanding teaching, said Dr. Sheldon Ekland-Olson, provost at the university. A faculty/student ad hoc committee reviewed nominations and submitted recommendations for the awards.
The recipients are:
- D. E. Winget, Ph.D., the Harlan J. Smith Centennial Professor in Astronomy, Department of Astronomy
- Alan K. Cline, Ph.D., the David Bruton Jr. Centennial Professor in Computer Sciences #2, Department of Computer Sciences
- James W. Daniel, Ph.D., the Paul V. Montgomery Centennial Memorial Professor in Actuarial Mathematics, Department of Mathematics
- Martha F. Hilley, professor of group piano and pedagogy, School of Music
- David W. Springer, Ph.D., professor and associate dean for academic affairs in the School of Social Work
- Philip L Varghese, Ph.D., the Stanley P. Finch Centennial Professor in Engineering, Department of Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics
The new members of the Academy of Distinguished Teachers receive a permanent academic salary increase of $7,000, the title of Distinguished Teaching Professor and other privileges.
Their appointment will be formally recognized on Sept. 14 at the university’s birthday observance, The University at 122, the occasion of the university president’s address on the state of the university.
- About Us
- Awards & Honors
- Undergraduate Program
- About Us
- Student Engagement and Support
- Graduate Program
- Masters Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Financial Information
- Prospective Students
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Curricular Practical Training
- Grad Student Talks
- Giving & Collaboration
- UTCS Direct