The Department of Computer Sciences (CS) recognized scholarship donors, Friends of Computer Sciences (FoCS) members, and scholarship recipients with a Scholarship Luncheon at the Texas Union on March 8, 2006.
As invitees enjoyed a slide show highlighting the honored students, CS Chair, J Strother Moore paid tribute to the involvement and generosity of scholarship donors and FoCS members. During a hearty lunch, students, faculty, industry leaders and donors made important connections, learned more about each other and celebrated accomplishments. There were 48 undergraduate scholarship recipients this year, receiving a total of $105,710. Corporate scholarships totaled $40,790.
We appreciate the generosity of corporations, families and friends who have named scholarships in honor of a loved one or family member and appreciate the generosity of our corporate donors:
- Boylan Family Endowed Scholarship
- James C. Browne Fellowship
- Centaur Technology (Also an FoCS member)
- ConocoPhillips (Also an FoCS member)
- Lockheed Martin (Also an FoCS member)
- Microsoft (Also an FoCS member)
- Parrish Computer Sciences Scholarship
- Angus G. and Erna Pearson Endowed Scholarship
- Jack Seriff Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- Louis C. Rosier Memorial Scholarship
- Texas Education & Technical Consortium
- Tracor-McBee, Jr. Endowed Scholarship— BAE Systems
- Unrestricted Presidential Endowments
For information on joining the FoCS program contact email@example.com and see the links below:
My Experience at the Scholarship Lunch — Todd Roling, UTCS Junior
I decided in January that this would be the semester I search for jobs, and began making a concerted effort to find just the right situation. At the UTCS scholarship lunch, I met Jerry Dziuk from IBM and he distributed my resume to a plethora of hiring managers inside IBM. I also received a second offer from another company through a contact made at the lunch, but selected a part-time position with IBM which I'm extremely excited about.
For my efforts during the semester, I received six job offers, but the most lucrative and interesting opportunities came from the scholarship lunch. Thanks to UTCS, FoCS, and all the wonderful scholarship donors, I now have a dream fulfilled, a great learning experience ahead of me, and a paycheck!