The Department of Computer Science (UTCS) is pleased to announce that the Board of Regents has approved additional funding to begin the first phase of construction for a new home for the department.
Construction on the the first phase of the new facility, named the Bill & Melinda Gates Computer Science Complex, will begin mid summer on the current footprint of Taylor Hall and an adjacent lot in central campus. This north building will be called the Dell Computer Science Hall in honor of Michael and Susan Dell's investment in the department and this project. The completion of the first phase is fall 2012. The full Gates Complex will consist of two LEED certified buildings connected by an atrium that incorporates collaborative bridges and terraces on four upper floors.
When completed, the new complex will be home to 60 faculty, 1400 undergraduate students, 250 graduate students and 50 staff. The department will be housed under one roof for the first time since its initial beginnings.
Faculty, staff and students are invited to commemorate life in Taylor Hall by dropping by to sign matted photographs of Taylor Hall in the Taylor Breezeway until June 10. The signed mattes will be framed and displayed in the new building.