Winter 2012 Newsletter
Partnership is the lifeblood of our department. Partnerships, spanning a wide range of initiatives, provide nourishment to fuel education and research projects. In this issue, we highlight some recent partnerships.
Faculty at the The University of Texas at Austin Department of Computer Science (UTCS) are at the forefront of the digital revolution. We invite you to read about recent faculty awards and view our faculty awards, honors and books.
We congratulate the following faculty on their promotions, effective September 1, 2012:
- Johna May - Administrative Associate in the Chair's Office
- Lori McNabb - Assistant Director for Academic Initiatives
- Liz Whittenton - Administrative Associate in Academics
We also congratulate:
- Toren Smith, Software Engineer, who won the 2011 Staff Excellence Award;
- Greg Daniel, T.A. for CS 302, who won the 2011 Outstanding T.A. award;
- Fangkai Yang, T.A. for CS 313H, who received the 2011 Outstanding T.A. Honorable Mention; and
- Joseph Trent, for his promotion to Senior System Administrator.
and says farewell to
- Carol Hyink and Robert Walker, who retired in August 2011; and
- Fletcher Mattox, who retired on January 15th.
Two UTCS staff members have joined together to create their own scholarship. The $2400 per year NettleBush Scholarship was established this year by Systems Administrator Amy Bush and Senior Systems Administrator Kay Nettle. Kay got the idea for the scholarship from her husband, who gives money to the Women in Engineering program. "Kay asked me, and I was thrilled with the concept and was immediately on board," said Amy. "When I was a CS undergrad, I was definitely a minority as a female, and (now that I'm a female minority on the tech staff) I'm excited to make whatever small difference I can in encouraging women to love Computer Science." The semesterly scholarship for female CS undergraduates with a GPA of 2.5 or greater already has its first recipient!
Would you like to create your own scholarship? Contact tgrady [at] cs [dot] utexas [dot] edu (Tiffany Grady) for more information.
- Awards & Honors
- About Us
- Student Engagement and Support
- Masters Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Financial Information
- Prospective Students
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Portfolio Program in Robotics
- Curricular Practical Training
- Grad Student Talks
- UTCS Direct