Do both my writing component courses have to be upper division?

They CAN be, but they do not have to be. Students have the option of fulfilling one of their writing component requirements with a lower division course. Advisors strongly recommend that Computer Science majors take one lower division writing component course (such as UGS 302/303) during their freshman or sophomore years. We offer several upper division CS courses with writing components with limited space availability that you can choose to take as well.