Integrated 5-Year BS/MS Program
The Five-Year BS/MS integrated program enables highly motivated students with strong academic records to earn a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a Master of Science in Computer Science (BS CS/MS CS) within a five-year period. The integrated program prepares students for competitive Ph.D. programs and provides strong leadership skills and technical depth to students entering professional positions.
Talented, high achieving juniors may apply to the BS CS/MS CS Integrated Program. The BS CS Option IV degree requires a total of 120 hours. The MS CS degree associated with this program requires a total of 30 hours. Combined, the degrees total 150 hours, spread out over five years. Students may only be admitted for fall semesters. Applications are open only to current, degree-seeking computer science majors at the University of Texas at Austin.
During the senior year (Stage One), students admitted to the program will continue to be undergraduates in the College of Natural Sciences. They will apply to the Graduate School during the senior year, for admission as full-fledged graduate students in the fifth year (Stage Two). The BS CS and MS CS degrees will be simultaneously awarded upon completion of the MS CS degree requirements.
Upcoming 5-Year Information Sessions:
- Monday, September 30th, 2013 from 6pm to 7pm in GDC 6.302
Applications for the program are accepted in mid-April each year (for students entering the following Fall semester). The application deadline is normally April 15th, but if that deadline falls on a weekend or a holiday, the deadline will be the next business day.
The application requires the submission of a statement of purpose. Students are strongly advised to take advantage of the free Personal Statement Critiques process offered by the Sanger Learning Center, which has a professional staff that can give you constructive feedback regarding the content, structure, tone, and length of your essay.
Eligibility for applying to the program
- We recommend that students be withing 12 hours of finishing their undergrad courses when applying
- Students are advised to complete background courses with a C+ or greater
- Architecture (CS 429), Operating Systems (CS 439), Programming Languages (CS 345) or Compilers (CS 375) and Theory of Computation (CS 353) or Algorithms and Complexity (CS 378 or 331).
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and, in order to be competitive, applicants should have a minimum 3.3 CS GPA.
- Completed all core courses when entering stage one of the program
- Core courses include: 313K/313H or 311/311H, 314/314H, 429/429H and 439/439H
Eligibility for moving forward into stage two of the 5-year master's program
1) At the end of stage one, a student will be admitted to stage two if they have a 3.0 GPA in their undergrad and grad CS courses.
2) A student must have taken a minimum of 12 graduate hours to move into stage two.
3) Students who do not meet these requirements may submit a petition to the graduate office for re-consideration.
- About Us
- Awards & Honors
- Undergraduate Program
- About Us
- Student Engagement and Support
- Graduate Program
- Masters Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Financial Information
- Prospective Students
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Curricular Practical Training
- Grad Student Talks
- Giving & Collaboration
- UTCS Direct