CS Department Scholarships
Through the generosity of many donors, including individuals, foundations and corporations, the CS Department is able to offer scholarships to many of our students. For the 2012-2013 academic year, 150 undergraduate students were awarded scholarships totalling over $200,000.
CS Department scholarships are awarded on an annual basis. The deadline for applying for the next academic year is May 31st at 4:00 PM, unless that date falls on a University holiday or a weekend. In that case, the deadline is the first business day following May 31st.
There is a single application for all CS scholarships. The application asks for personal information and a one-page essay.
All current CS students (i. e., those who are classified as Entry Level CS, CS, or Turing Scholars) are eligible to apply.
If you are awarded a scholarship, you must enroll full-time (minimum of 12 hours) in the subsequent fall and spring. The scholarship award is typically paid out in halves. If your class enrollment is less then 12 hours, you will forfeit the scholarship for that semester. In addition, you must maintain an GPA of 2.5 or above to keep the scholarship.
Decisions are made during June and July. Recipients are notified in early to mid-July. Factors used by the CS Scholarship Committee include:
- Academic achievements and research
- Extra-curricular participation
- Financial need
- Quality of essay
- Anticipated full-time enrollment at the University for the upcoming fall/spring semesters (minimum of 12 hours per semester)
Please note that donors may specify other factors that the CS Scholarship Committee must follow in making awards. For example, some awards are intended for juniors and seniors.
All scholarship applications will remain on file until the following year and are often used for other scholarship opportunities that may arise.
Is my award made only for the fall semester?
Most scholarship awards are made for the fall/spring semesters of an upcoming year. Therefore, the award is split evenly between the fall and spring semesters.
Do I have to be enrolled at UT full-time to receive my scholarship award?
You must be enrolled at UT full-time (a minimum of 12 hours) each semester during the school year that the scholarship covers. If you have fewer than 12 hours for either semester, you forfeit the scholarship and the award is given to another student.
I received a scholarship from the Department of Computer Science, and have been invited to a reception in the Spring. Must I attend?
Yes. The department expects three things from you when you are awarded a scholarship:
- You will take advantage of the scholarship to pursue your education with passion and commitment.
- You will write thank you note(s) that will be delivered to the donor(s) of your scholarship(s).
- You will attend the annual scholarship lunch held each spring semester. If you have a class conflict, please speak to your instructor and make arrangements to get your notes from another student. The reception is important because it gives our donors the opportunity to meet the students whose careers they are launching.
- Awards & Honors
- About Us
- Student Engagement and Support
- Masters Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Financial Information
- Prospective Students
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Portfolio Program in Robotics
- Curricular Practical Training
- Grad Student Talks
- UTCS Direct