Signature Course Content and Activities
As a member of the UT community, you have access to an array of world class resources. We’ll focus on two kinds of such “gems”:
· Research Laboratories and Facilities (see below).
· The University Library, including UT’s subscriptions to such online resources as JSTOR (a repository of academic and research publications) and the Oxford English Dictionary.
UT is home to a wide array of world class research facilities. We will focus on one that centers around computation. During our regular discussion section times, we will tour:
· The Visualization Lab (https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/vislab )
There will be two University Lectures this fall, both at 7:00 pm:
· Monday, Sept. 19 Election - 2016
· Tuesday, Sept. 20 Research that Changes the World
You must listen to one of them. You are encouraged to attend the live performance of the lecture. But the lectures are recorded. So you also have the option to listen to it later. There will be an assignment that you will complete based on the lecture that you have chosen to listen to.
We will focus on ways of finding accurate, up-to-date information in technical disciplines. Several homework assignments, while about logical issues, will require you to do research to discover the facts on which the logical arguments can be based.