Dear ELA Members:
We need volunteers to man and "fun-up" the ELA table for freshman orientation. Please email Tiffany Grady (email@example.com) ASAP if you would like to volunteer. Currently we only need volunteers for July 1st and July 15th. - we already have volunteers for the other dates. Below are the details:
We would like orgs to be set up by 4:45 (tables will be available at 4), bring any displays or handouts you have to promote your group and try to help us create a fun and interesting atmosphere for the incoming fall freshmen. We should be done about 6:15 - 6:30 and your representatives are welcome to have all the pizza they want! Each week we are expecting between 250 - 300 students to attend. The dates of the Fairs are:
Wed., June 11
Wed., June 18
Wed., June 25
Tues., July 1
Wed., July 9
Tues., July 15
Last Monthly Meeting of the semester!
We want to celebrate your accomplishments: if you have been accepted to graduate school, are graduating, received a scholarship or internship, or have another accomplishment to celebrate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details!!
Faculty Lunch: Topic- AI & Robotics
Friday April 25
Our next Faculty Lunch will be with the AI and Robotics professors on Friday April 25 at 11:45am in TAY 3.128. All nine professors from the AI Lab have confirmed: Prof Grauman, Ballard, Risto, Stone, Lifschitz, Mooney, Novak, Porter and Kuipers!
This is going to be an exciting lunch and we need as many students as possible to attend. Please confirm your attendance ASAP. Looking forward to seeing you guys there!
RSVP either via the EL Alliance at the University of Texas Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7967457167) event or by email to email@example.com. We need a head count for food.
UPDATE: The trip was awesome! Mario Guajardo posted some awesome pics here: http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/356761/overview
The EL Alliance April Houston Trip details are here!!! Please note that you must register; please do so as soon as possible. Remember, there is no cost for you to attend this conference, but we must get an accurate number in order to make the necessary arrangements!
- Dates: Friday, April 11 (leave Austin at 1:30pm) - Saturday, April 12 (arrive in Austin around 8:00pm)
- Method of Transportation: Trailways Bus. If someone chooses not to ride the bus, their travel arrangements and costs are up to them. We’ll have box “snacks” prepared for the trip both ways.
- Departure Location: To be determined
- Hotel Stay: Galleria Marriott
- Conference Location: Duncan Hall, Rice University (Houston, TX)
- Registration Deadline: March 15, 2008
- Register online - It's EASY!!: https://my.rice.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1200503162089 (please note that students will be staying 2 per room, and that you can request a specific roommate when you register)
Friday April 11
- 5:00 PM Reception and Registration, Martel Hall
All Presentations will take place in McMurtry Auditorium
- 5:30 PM Welcome - Paula Sanders, Dean of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies, Rice University
- 5:45 PM Presentation – Keith Cooper, Professor and Chair of Computer Science, Rice University
- 6:30 PM Open Discussion – Promoting National Leadership, Leader, Richard Tapia, University Professor, Rice University
- 7:30 PM Dinner and Entertainment Martel Hall /Mariachi Band and Dancers
Saturday April 12
- 9:00 AM Breakfast and Industry Chats, Martel Hall
- 10:00 AM Exxon Industry Talk
- 11:00 AM Donna Nelson, Associate Professor, University of Oklahoma, On Diversity
- 11:45 AM Open Discussion, Responding to Thought Provoking Questions
- 12:30 PM Lunch
- 1:30 PM Clint Dawson, Professor, U of Texas
- 2:15 PM Open Discussion What can the Alliance do to support student leadership and success?
- 3:15 PM Break
- 3:45 PM Illya Hicks, Professor, Rice University (Invited)
- 4:15 PM Student Panel 15 minute each – About my research Josef Sifuentes ,Mack Joyner, Samantha Summerson, Rice U Graduate Students
- 5:00 PM Closing
This should prove an exiting and fun experience and opportunity to network, let's show that UT is ready to get involved by our presence there!!
Thursday, April 3rd
Mark your calendars!
Discussion Items :
1) April Houston Trip - if you registered, please come to hammer out details on travel
2) Committee Work - Progress Report
3) Faculty Lunch Report
4) Additional topics TBD
Faculty Luncheon - Topic: Computer Architecture and Operating Systems. 12 noon, TAY 3.128
Presenters: Dr. Keckler, Dr. Dahlin, Dr. Witchel, Dr. Alvisi
Box lunches from Jason's Deli - RSVP required to receive lunch.