CS178H Introduction to CS Research - Honors
- Unique Id: ?????
- Meets: Wednesday 1:00 - 2:00 pm WEL 2.256
- Instructors: J Strother Moore
- Moore's Office: MAI 2014
- Moore's Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moore's Office Hours: Wednesday, 11:00 am - noon
The goals of this course are to answer the following questions:
The goal of this class is not for you to do research,
because a one-hour per week course simply does not give us enough
time for that.
- What is academic research?
- What is CS research?
- What is UTCS research?
- How do you get engaged in research at UTCS?
- What is an Honors Thesis?
- When and how do you prepare an Honors Thesis?
There is no textbook for this course.
Tests and Grades
There will be no exams.
Assignments will be made every couple of weeks and will require you to
prepare reports. You will be called on randomly during the semester to
speak in class about what you've learned.
Grades will be based on class participation. Students who take the course
seriously, by coming prepared and speaking when called upon, will make A's.
Visiting me during my office hours also counts as class participation.
- What is your favorite subject or area within computer science? Write a
paragraph (no more than one page) answering that question and elaborating on
what you like about that area. I want you to turn in your essays, on paper,
as you come into our second class meeting. Be sure to put your name on your
essay! Be careful about your spelling and grammar! Research requires
clear, precise, succinct communication, so start practicing. Do not copy
your answer from somebody else or the web! Research must be original, so
start practicing now.