Assembly Language is much easier to program in than Machine Language:
- Addresses are filled in by assembler: easy to insert or remove code.
- Mnemonic codes for operations, e.g. LDA.
- Bit fields are handled by assembler.
However, it still is fairly difficult to use:
- One-to-one translation: one output instruction per source line.
- Programmers write a fixed (small: 8 to 16) number of lines of
code per day, independent of language.
- A programmer costs $2 per minute, $1000 per day!
- Minimal error checking.