How Search Fits Into A.I.
Search seems to arise in nearly every area of A.I.
In part, this is because A.I. attempts to model
human intelligence (which is highly parallel) on
- Logic: A theorem prover searches for a
sequence of proof steps that will prove a
- Natural Language: A parser searches for the
best ways of assigning structure and meaning to
sentences that are ambiguous.
- Planning: A planner searches for a sequence
of actions that will accomplish a goal.
- Perception: The raw input is often
ambiguous; the perception program searches for a consistent set of
interpretations of parts of the input.
- Learning: A learning program searches for a
compact description of a set of training
- Expert Systems: Search finds rules
applicable to the current problem.