Natural Language as an AI Problem
Natural language understanding is a classical AI Problem:
- Minimal Input Data: the natural language statement does not
contain the message, but is a minimal specification to allow an
intelligent reader to construct the message.
- Knowledge Based: the interpretation of the message is based
in large part on the knowledge that the reader already has.
- Reference to Context: the message implicitly refers to a
context, including what has been said previously.
- Local Ambiguity: many wrong interpretations are superficially
consistent with the input.
- Global Constraints: there are many different kinds of
constraints on interpretation of the input.
- Capturing the Infinite: a language
understanding system must capture, in finite form, rules sufficient
to understand a potentially infinite set of statements.