CS378 Assignment 2
Due: Friday, Feb. 15 at class time; bring a hard copy to
class (send it electronically if you won't be in class).
Note you can work with one other student on this project. Be sure
to identify both members of the team and include a sentence
explaining the contributions of each.
As an IA professional, you have studied thoroughly the issues involved
in CyberWarfare and become fascinated by this subject. You have
decided that you might even like to write a book on the subject.
You've never written a book before so you do some research and find
that a first step is writing a proposal that your agent can shop
around to various publishers. Such a proposal should contain the
A real proposal would also contain a proposed timeline and business
justification but you don't need to worry about those.
- A short description of the proposed topic and why it is an
important and interesting topic that would be of interest to the
- A description of your target audience (e.g., academics, security
experts, business leaders, the general public).
- The basic approach / goal of your book. For example, your goal
might be surveying the area for a general audience. It might be
arguing for more government involvement in this area. It might be
advising business on the threats. The goal should be appropriate
for the target audience of your book.
- A list of the proposed chapter titles with a one or two sentence
summary of the content of each chapter.
- An annotated bibliography of some (at least 5) recent books on
this topic. You can access this information easily on Amazon.com.
It is reasonable that a proposal of this nature would take 4-5 pages,
but that's just a guess. With any assignment this semester, the page
count is a suggestion. If you can do the job adequately in fewer
pages or more pages, that's OK.
Grading Information: This and subsequent writing assignments
will be graded on the following criteria:
We're not grading on grammar or spelling, but you should make a
credible effort to write in a style worthy of a student at a top-tier
- Did you do the assignment as specified?
- Did you give it adequate thought and care?
- Is your argument well reasoned and supported by evidence?
- Is the document formatted reasonably? (It's better short than
- Are references cited correctly?
- Is the writing style acceptable?