Easter Sunday (Due 30 June 2013)
In this program you will compute the date of Easter Sunday. Easter
Sunday is the first Sunday after the first full moon of Spring. This
algorithm was invented by Carl Friedrich Gauss.
Easter Sunday falls on day p of the month n. For example if y is 2001:
- Let y be the year ( such as 2001 ).
- Divide y by 19 and call the remainder a. Ignore the quotient.
- Divide y by 100 to get a quotient b and a remainder c.
- Divide b by 4 to get a quotient d and a remainder e.
- Divide 8 * b + 13 by 25 to get a quotient g. Ignore the remainder.
- Divide 19 * a + b - d - g + 15 by 30 to get a remainder h.
Ignore the quotient.
- Divide c by 4 to get a quotient j and a remainder k.
- Divide a + 11 * h by 319 to get a quotient m. Ignore the remainder.
- Divide 2 * e + 2 * j - k - h + m + 32 by 7 to get a remainder r.
Ignore the quotient.
- Divide h - m + r + 90 by 25 to get a quotient n. Ignore the remainder.
- Divide h - m + r + n + 19 by 32 to get a remainder p. Ignore the
Hence in 2001, Easter Sunday was on 15 April.
- a = 6
- b = 20
- c = 1
- d = 5, e = 0
- g = 6
- h = 18
- j = 0, k = 1
- m = 0
- r = 6
- n = 4
- p = 15
In your program you will prompt the user to enter the year and then write
out the date for Easter Sunday. Your session will look like this:
Enter year: 2001
In 2001 Easter Sunday is on 15 April
You can go to the
US Naval Observatory website and check your result:
The program that you will be writing will be called EasterSunday. We will be
looking at good documentation, and adherence to the coding convention
discussed in class. You may use the same variable names used in the problem
statement. Your file EasterSunday.py will have the following header:
# File: EasterSunday.py
# Student Name:
# Student UT EID:
# Course Name: CS 303E
# Unique Number:
# Date Created:
# Date Last Modified:
turnin system to submit your EasterSunday.py file.
The TA should receive your work by 11 PM on Sunday, 30 June 2013.
There will be substantial penalties if you do not adhere to the
- Your Python program should have the header with the proper
- Your code must run before submission.
- You should be submitting your file through the web based
turnin program. We will not accept files e-mailed to us.
- Here is the Grading Criteria.