Strengths of Object Oriented Programming
- Facilitates code reuse
- Models more closely reflect the real world
- Promotes Stability - easier to understand and maintain. Small change in
requirements does not mean massive changes in the system under development.
What is a Software Process?
A software process defines WHO is doing WHAT, WHEN and HOW to reach a certain
goal which could be to build a new software product or enhance an existing one.
The Rational Unified Process (RUP) is a generic process that uses UML as a
An actor is someone or something outside the system that interacts with
A use-case is a sequence of actions a system performs that yields an
observable result of value to a particular actor.
What is UML?
Unified Modeling Language is a language for specifying, visualizing,
constructing, and documenting a software intensive system.
What are the different views of Software Architecture?
- Use-case view - End user - Functionality
- Logical View - Analysts/Designers - Structure
- Implementation View - Programmers - Software management
- Process View - System Integrators - Performance, Scalability, Throughput
- Deployment View - System Engineering - System topology, installation,
What are the Lifecycle Phase in the development of Software?
Within each phase there is a series of iterations. Each iteration results
in a release encompassing larger and larger subsets of the final
- Inception - define the scope of the project
- Elaboration - Plan project, specify features
- Construction - Build the product
- Transition - Transition the product into the end user community
In our development process for this class we will take the following path
- Uses Cases
- Class Diagram
- Source Code
Who is an actor?
An actor is someone or something outside the system that interacts with the
system. An actor can be a human being or another system or a device. An actor
is represented by a stick figure in UML.
What is a Use-Case?
A Use-Case is a sequence of actions a system performs that yields an observable
result of value to a particular actor. A Use-Case describes functionality of the
system from the user's point of view. A Use-Case is represented by an oval in
Example: College Registration System
Study the requirements specification of the College
Here are the steps in the analysis process:
- Identify the actors and use cases for this system.
- Write out the uses cases in some detail according to the following
- Identify boundary classes, control classes, and entity classes.
- Draw sequence diagrams to display the flow of events.