Intro to Google Discussion Groups
David L. Rager
Joining the Discussion Group
- Sign into your GMail/Google account. If you don't want to do this,
skip the rest of this section and email your TA requesting that they
send your non-gmail account an invitation to join the Google group. This
will allow you to post with that non-Google email address.
- Goto the web Google Group view of the discussion group. The exact
address varies depending on name of the class and year, but it will be
In the following instructions all references to that group name and course should be
understood to refer to the actual group name and course.
- Since you've signed in, you should see a "Join this group" option in
the right panel. Click that link, choose the format for mail delivery (I
recommend the email option with filtering, and then
click the "Join this group" button.
Since these discussion lists are created with the idea of students
using Gmail accounts to read them (although it's not necessary), I put
together a brief how-to for creating a filter for this email list in the
Gmail application. I personally find the process rather intuitive, so this
explicit list is probably unnecessary, but I thought I'd send it out just
in case some people get lost in the new technology.
- Open GMail
- Click on the "Settings" hyperlink at the top right of your
- Click on the "Filters" hyperlink near the top middle of your screen
(it's the fourth link in the submenu)
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on the hyperlink for "Create a
- Enter "firstname.lastname@example.org" in the "TO:" box of
the new filter
- Click on the button labeled "Test Search" and if you've been in the
group for awhile, you should see some hits
- Click on the button labeled "Next Step"
- Check the checkbox labeled "Also apply to the X conversations
below" (where X is a number)
- In an effort to keep my inbox clean, I like to check the checkbox
labeled "Skip the inbox (Archive it)", but it's just a personal
- Check the checkbox labeled "Apply the label"
- Use the scroll box near the "Apply the label" checkbox and select
- Type in a name for the label. I used cs313k
- Click OK to create a label of that name.
- Click on the button labeled "Create Filter"
You can now also access the discussion group emails by clicking on the
cs313k link in the "Labels" section of your gmail client on the bottom left
portion of the browser page.