Networks is part of the Systems area:
study of the connection of many computers via communication
- Reliability: Can a message get from A to B ?
- Will it be received correctly?
- Even if the connection is noisy?
- Even if parts of the network fail?
- Even if the network is very busy?
- Security: Can we guarantee:
- that a message will be received by the intended recipient?
- that nobody can eavesdrop?
- that even if there are some ``bad guys'' on the network, they
cannot disrupt the network?
- Read other peoples' mail
- Steal passwords, credit card numbers, etc.
- Gain access to other computers
- Send phony messages