PERT, for Program Evaluation and Review Technique, is a project
management method using directed graphs.
- Nodes represent events, milestones, or time points.
- Arcs represent activities, which take time and resources.
Each arc is labeled with the amount of time it takes.
- A node has the maximum time of its incoming arcs.
- An activity cannot start before the time of its preceding event.
- The critical path is the longest path
from start to finish.
- The slack is the amount of extra time available to an
activity before it would become part of the critical path.