CS 314: Example Questions for Final Exam
- Why is it important that a search tree be balanced?
- What is the most significant difference between B-trees
and balanced binary trees?
- What is the motivation for having special techniques to store
- Describe three kinds of problems that can be done using pattern
- Describe the rules for matching a pattern variable.
- Suppose that data items are stored in a HashMap
and that the items need to be sorted. How would this be done
using the Java libraries?
- Suppose that we would like to sort a set of students, first by
age in years, and within the same age, by GPA. How would this be
done using the Java libraries?
- How does the Big O of hashing compare with that of AVL trees?
- Describe how hashing with buckets simplifies the code required.
- Describe three uses of priority queues.
- What is the Big O of Insertion Sort? Is it stable? In-place?
What would be an appropriate use of Insertion Sort, and why?
- Give an advantage and a disadvantage of Merge Sort of an array.
- Give examples of problems whose representations are graphs.
- Depth-first search of a tree is easily done using a recursive
function. How is search of a graph different?
- How do the computer systems on which MapReduce runs differ
from ordinary computers?
- Describe how MapReduce provides fault tolerance.
Briefly and clearly define the following terms: ... terms chosen
from the vocabulary lists on both study guides.