Examples of Graphs
There are many examples of graphs:
- The road network forms a graph, with cities as vertices and
roads as edges. The distance between cities can be used as the cost
of an edge.
- The airline network is a graph, with airports as vertices and
airline flights as edges.
- Communication networks such as the Internet: computers and
switches are nodes, connections between them are links.
- Social networks such as the graph of people who call
each other on the telephone, or friends on MySpace: people are nodes
and there are links to the people they communicate with.
- Distribution networks that model the flow of goods: an oil terminal
is a node, and an oil tanker or pipeline is a link.