Choosing a Domain
A domain chosen for an expert system (especially a first
one) should have the following characteristics:
- Task takes from a few minutes to a few hours for human experts.
- Specialized task (avoid commonsense reasoning).
- Expertise in the area exists and can be identified.
- An expert who is willing to commit significant
amounts of time over a long period is available.
- Opportunity for large payoff.
- Complexity: significant expertise required.
- Lack of algorithmic solution to the problem.
- Data may be unavailable or uncertain.
- ``Judgment'' may be used in reaching conclusion.
- Many different kinds of knowledge sources
involved in performing task.