- Similar to compilers
- Input specifications are high-level, special-purpose abstractions
from a narrow application domain.
- Code expansion ratio can be high.
- Examples: database generators, report generators, compiler generators.
- Abstraction: reuse the system architecture, major subsystems,
data structures and algorithms.
- Selection: Choose an application generator for application domain.
- Specialization: generated from the input specification.
- Integration: none if single system is generated. In terms of
domain abstractions ( e.g., tokens passed between LEX and YACC)
- Cognitive distance: Low when fit to application domain is good.