Gordon S. Novak Jr.
``Computer aided software design via inference and constraint
propagation,'' Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering,
vol. 16, no. 3 (2009), pp. 181-191.
- ``Software Reuse by Specialization of
Generic Procedures through Views,''
IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, vol. 23, no. 7 (Jul. 1997),
- ``Creation of Views for Reuse of Software
with Different Data Representations,''
IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, vol. 21, no. 12 (Dec. 1995),
- ``Conversion of Units of Measurement,''
IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, vol. 21, no. 8 (Aug. 1995),
- (with W. Bulko) ``Diagrams and Text as Computer
Input'', Journal of Visual Languages and Computing
4 (1993), pp. 161-175.
- (with F. Hill, M. Wan, B. Sayrs) ``Negotiated
Interfaces for Software Reuse,'' IEEE Trans. on Software
Engineering, vol. 18, no. 7 (July 1992), pp. 646-653.
- (with Hyung Joon Kook)``Representation of Models for
Expert Problem Solving in Physics'', IEEE Transactions on
Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 3, no. 1 (March 1991), pp. 48-54.
- ``GLISP: A Lisp-based Language with Data
Abstraction,'' A. I. Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Fall 1983),
- ``Computer Understanding of Physics Problems
Stated in Natural Language,'' American Journal of Computational
Linguistics, Microfiche 53, 1976.
Reviewed in Computing Reviews,
Vol. 19, No. 1 (Jan. 1978).
- (with R.F. Simmons) ``Semantically Analyzing an English Subset
for the Clowns Microworld,'' American Journal of Computational
Linguistics, Microfiche 18, 1975.
- ``Diagrams for Solving Physical Problems,''
in Janice Glasgow, N. Hari Narayanan, and B. Chandrasekaran, eds.,
Diagrammatic Reasoning: Cognitive and Computational Perspectives,
AAAI Press / MIT Press, 1995, pp. 753-774.
- ``Artificial Intelligence'' (essay),
in Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology,
Sept. 1992, p. 160.
- Edited approximately 4,660 definitions, and wrote 729 new definitions,
of terms in the areas of Artificial Intelligence and Computers
for the Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology,
- ``GLISP: A Lisp-based Language with Data
Abstraction,'' Reprinted in Readings from A.I. Magazine,
AAAI Press, 1988, pp. 545-555.
- Yulin Li and Gordon Novak,
"Generation of Geometric Programs Specified by Diagrams",
Proc. Generative Programming and Component
Engineering 2011 (GPCE-11), Portland OR, Oct. 2011, pp. 63-72.
- ``Coupling Data Understanding with Software Reuse",
2008 IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and
Integration (IRI-2008), Las Vegas NV, July 2008, pp. 110-115.
- ``Interactions of Abstractions in Programming,''
Abstraction, Reformulation, and Approximation: 4th Int'l Symposium
(SARA-2000), Horseshoe Bay, TX, July 2000. Lecture Notes in
Artificial Intelligence 1864, pp. 185-201, ISBN 3-540-67839-5,
- ``Reuse by Specialization through Views,''
Proc. 9th Workshop on Institutionalizing Software Reuse
(WISR-99), Austin TX, Jan. 1999, 5 pp.
- ``Composing Reusable Software Components through
Views,'' Proc. 9th Knowledge-Based Software Engineering
Conference (KBSE-94), Monterey, CA, Sept. 1994, pp. 39-47.
- ``Generating Programs from Connections of Physical
Models'', Proc. Tenth Conference on Artificial Intelligence for
Applications (CAIA-94), San Antonio, Texas, March 1994, pp. 224-230.
- ``Software Reuse through View Type Clusters'',
Proc. 7th Knowledge-Based Software Engineering Conf., McLean, VA,
Sept. 20-23, 1992, pp. 70-79 (IEEE Computer Society Press).
- (with William Bulko) ``Uses of Diagrams in Solving
Physics Problems'', 1992 AAAI Spring Symposium on Reasoning with
Diagrammatic Representations, Stanford, March 25-27, 1992.
- (with Ruey-Juin Chang) ``Computational
Reflection in Executions of Knowledge Level Models'', OOPSLA
1991 Workshop on Reflection and Metalevel
Architectures in Object-Oriented Programming, Phoenix, AZ, Oct. 7, 1991.
- (with Ruey-Juin Chang) ``Components of Expertise
for Knowledge Level Modeling'', 3rd International Conference on
Tools for Artificial Intelligence, IEEE Computer Society, San Jose,
CA, Nov. 10-13, 1991.
- (with Fredrick Hill, Man-Lee Wan, Brian Sayrs)
Specification of Views for Reuse of Abstract Programs'' Workshop
on Automating Software Design, American Association for Artificial
Intelligence Conference (AAAI-91), Anaheim, CA, July 15, 1991, pp. 138-145.
- (with William Bulko) ``Understanding Natural Language
with Diagrams'', Proc. National Conference on Artificial
Intelligence (AAAI-90), Aug. 1990, pp. 465-470.
- (with Hyung Joon Kook)``Representation of Models
for Solving Real-world Physics Problems'', Proc. 6th IEEE Conf. on
A.I. Applications, March 1990, pp. 274-280.
- ``Data Abstraction in GLISP'',
Proc. SIGPLAN '83 Symposium on
Programming Language Issues in Software Systems,
SIGPLAN Notices, vol. 18, no. 6, June 1983, pp. 170-177.
- ``Knowledge Based Programming Using Abstract Data
National Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-83), Washington, D.C.,
Aug. 1983, pp. 288-291.
- ``GLISP: A High-Level Language for A.I.
Programming,'' Proc. National Conference on Artificial
Intelligence (AAAI-82), Pittsburgh, PA, Aug. 1982, pp. 238-241.
- ``GLISP: An Efficient, English-like Programming
Language,'' Proc. Third Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science
Society, Berkeley, CA, August 1981. Abstract published in
American Journal of Computational Linguistics, vol. 7, no. 4
(Oct.-Dec. 1981), p. 279.
- (with Agustin Araya) ``Research on Expert Problem
Solving in Physics,''
Proc. First Annual National Conference on Artificial Intelligence
(AAAI-80), Stanford, CA, August 1980, pp. 178-180.
- ``Representations of Knowledge in a Program for
Solving Physics Problems,'' Proc. 5th International Joint
Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-77), Cambridge, MA,
August 1977, pp. 286-291.
- ``Optimized Machine-Independent Extended
FORTRAN for Mini-Computer Programming,''
Proc. ACM SIGMINI/SIGPLAN Interface Meeting on Programming
Systems in the Small Processor Environment, March 1976.
ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 11, No. 4 (April 1976).
``Robert F. Simmons: In Memoriam'', A.I. Magazine,
vol. 16, no. 3 (Fall 1995).
- ``Computational and Brain Representations of Imagery'' (commentary
on a paper by Janice Glasgow), Computational Intelligence,
vol. 9, no. 4 (Nov. 1993), pp. 398-401.
- Letter, in response to an attack on A.I.
by M. V. Wilkes, Communications of the ACM vol. 35, no. 12
(Dec. 1992), pp. 13-14.
- (with R. Causey, V. Kumar, J. Werth, B. Porter, V. Hwang)
Editor and co-author,
``Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems'' (videotaped
course with exercises), Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1988.
- Novak, G., ``GLISP User's Manual,'' abstract published in American
Journal of Computational Linguistics, vol. 8, no. 2 (April-June 1982),
p. 90. Published in microfiche and for on-line computer retrieval,
Artificial Intelligence Series, Scientific Datalink, New York, NY, 1982.
- Novak, G., ``Artificial Intelligence'',
Discovery, vol. 9, no. 3 (Dec. 1985), pp. 10-12.
This material is presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly
and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by
authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information
are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's
copyright. In most cases, these works may not be reposted without the
explicit permission of the copyright holder.
Gordon S. Novak Jr.