- D. H Ballard and C. M. Brown, Computer Vision, Prentice Hall 1982
- D. H. Ballard, Natural Computation, MIT Press 1987
Faculty profile 2
- Ballard, D.H., M.M. Hayhoe, P.K. Pook, and R.P.N. Rao, “Deictic codes for the embodiment of cognition,” Behavioral and Brain Sciences 20, 4, 723–767, December 1997.
- Rao, R.P.N. and D.H. Ballard, “Predictive coding in the visual cortex: A functional interpretation of some extra-classical receptive-field effects,” Nature Neuroscience 2, 1, 79–87, January 1999.
- Hayhoe, M. M., and Ballard, D. H. Eye Movements in Natural Behavior, Trends in Cognitive Science Vol 9, No. 4 pp 188-194, 2005.
- Chen Yu and Dana H. Ballard, “A Multimodal Learning Interface for Grounding Spoken Language in Sensorimotor Experience”, ACM Transactions on Applied Perception. Vol 1, No 1, 2004.
- Sprague, N. and Ballard, D. H. (2007) Modeling Embodied Visual Behaviors, ACM Trans. on Applied Perception.
- Computer Vision, D. H. Ballard and C. M. Brown 1982, Prentice Hall, Currently available online thanks to British Machine Vision group.
- An Introduction to Natural Computation,1997, MIT Press, D. H. Ballard.
- Berkeley, UC Merced and the Santa Fe Institute, the Cognitive Science workshop series and the ECVP
- Instructor/lecturer in the Frankfurt FIAS summer school, Cognitive Science, 2006 and 2008
- Instructor/lecturer in the Telluride Neuromorphic Engineering workshops
Ballard develops systems models of brain function at the behavioral and neural levels.
University Invited Lectures:
Editorial positions in five journals including Neural Computation and Perception
Appointments in Psychology, the Institute of Neural Systems and the Center for Perceptual Systems at The University of Texas at Austin