Batory and his students develop tools, languages, and methodologies for software product lines, model-driven engineering, domain-specific languages, and refactoring engines, with an emphasis on mathematical principles that unify these areas and that form a practical engineering basis for automated software development. He is a leading proponent of feature-based development of software, where features are increments in software functionality. Features provide a natural modularization for automated software development as customized programs (or systems) can be specified declaratively, allowing novices to "program" like experts simply by choosing the features that they need.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- 1st Test of Time Award, Software Product Line Conference
- Co-authored 15 award-winning papers in Software Engineering.
- Received 2 best paper awards in Database Management.
- Two students (Sven Apel and Christian Kaestner) that he co-advised won the 2007 Software Engineering Awards for the best national Dissertation and best national Masters Thesis in Germany.
- Keynotes at SPLC 2017, SLE 2013, ITP 2011, SEDE 2009, MODELS 2008, ETAPS 2007, POPL 2007, AMAST 2004.
Recent Selected Publications:
- J. Oh, D. Batory, M. Myers, and N. Siegmund. Finding Near-Optimal Configurations in Product Lines by Random Sampling. ACM Foundations Of Software Engineering (FSE) September 2017
- J. Kim, D. Batory, D. Dig. Refactoring Java Software Product Lines. Software Product Line Conference (SPLC) September 2017
- J. Kim, D. Batory, D. Dig and M. Azanza. Improving Refactoring Speed by 10x . International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) May 2016
- D. Batory and M. Azanza. Teaching Model Driven Engineering from a Relational Database Perspective . Software and Systems Modeling (SoSym), 2015
- B. Marker, D. Batory, R. van de Geijn. Understanding Performance Stairs: Elucidating Heuristics . Automated Software Engineering (ASE) 2014
- General Chair MODELS 2017
- Chair of Committee to select (yearly) Most Influential Paper in Software Product Lines 2016-
- Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on Database Systems (1986-1991)
- IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (1999-2002)
- Served on the ACM Software Systems Award Committee (1989-1993), Chairman in 1992