Faculty profile 2
- Abstract specifications of protocols
- Self-stabilizing distributed systems
- Key graphs and secure group communications
- Firewalls and other networking policies
- Kuwait Prize in Basic Sciences, 1993
- William R. Bennett Best Paper Award, IEEE Communication Society, 2001
- Fellow of the IBM Center for Advanced Studies in Texas, 2002-2003
- William C. Carter Award, IEEE Technical Committee on Fault-Tolerant Computing and IFIP Working Group on Dependable Computing and Fault Tolerance (WG 10.4), 2004
- Best Paper Award, Second International Conference on Networked Systems (NETYS), 2014
- (with C. K. Wong and S. S. Lam) “Secure group communications using key graphs”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 8, No. 1, pages 16 - 30, 2000/2
- (with A. Arora) "Closure and convergence: A foundation of fault-tolerant computing", IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 11, pages 1015 - 1027, 1993
- (with A. Arora) "Distributed reset", IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 43, No. 9, pages 1026 - 1038, 1994
- (with X-YA Liu) "Firewall design: Consistency, completeness, and compactness", Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pages 320 - 327, 2004
- (with E. S. Elmallah) "Hardness of firewwall analysis", IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 14, No. 3, pages 339 - 349, 2017
- Elements of Network Protocol Design, John Wiley and Sons, 1998. This is the first and only book where Internet protocols are presented in a formal and abstract setting.
- (with T. M. McGuire) The Austin Protocol Compiler, Advances in Information Security Series, Springer, 2005.
- (with C.-T. Huang) Hop Integrity in the Internet, Advances in Information Security Series, Springer, 2006.
- Keynote Speaker, “How to Assign Keys in a Network of Small Computers”, IEEE International Conf. on Computer and Communication Networks (ICCC), 2006.
- Invited Speaker, “Verification of Firewall Networks”, Bell Labs, 2007.
- Invited Speaker, “Authentication by Name or by Registration”, Workshop on Secure Network Protocols (NPSec), 2008.
- Invited Speaker, "Using Formal Methods in Network Research? What a Beautiful Idea", Workshop on Rigorous Protocol Engineering (WRiPE), 2012
- Keynote Talk, "Communication without Repudiation: The Unanswered Question", Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Networked Systems (NETYS), in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Volume 8593, pp 1-8, 2014.
- “System and Method of Firewall Design Utilizing Decision Diagrams”, Non-provisional U.S. Patent Application, Serial No. 11/386,365.
- “System and Method of Resolving Discrepancies Between Diverse Firewall”, Designs Non-provisional U.S. Patent Application, Serial No. 11/444,017.
- “System and Method of Querying Firewalls”, Non-provisional U.S. Patent Application, Serial No. 11/487,073.
- “System and Method of Removing Redundancy from Packet Classifiers”, Non-provisional U.S. Patent Application, Serial No. 11/444,022.
- (Above patent applications were filed with A. X. Liu.)
- Founding editor-in-chief of the Journal Distributed Computing, Springer, 1985
- Co-founder of the ICNP international conference, 1993
- Co-founder of the SSS international conference, 1999
- Steering Committee Member: ICNP 1993-present; SSS 1999-present
- Program Committee Chair: SIGCOMM 1989; ICNP 1993, 1998, 2005, 2014; ICDCS 1999; ICENCO 2004, 2006, 2007
- General Chair: SSS 2006; ICNP 2008; DISC 2014
- Track Vice Chair: ICDCS 2007; ICNP 2008, 2009; SSS 2009
Dr. Gouda has been working on developing theories to investigate the following topics
Awards and Honors:
5 Most Important Recent Publications:
5 Most Important Books Currently in Print: