Simon S. Lam received the BSEE degree with Distinction from Washington State University in 1969, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from UCLA in 1970 and 1974, respectively. From 1971 to 1974, he was a Postgraduate Research Engineer at the ARPA Network Measurement Center, UCLA. From 1974 to 1977, he was a Research Staff Member at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center. Since 1977, he has been on the faculty of the University of Texas at Austin and served as Department Chair from 1992 to 1994. His research interests are in computer network protocol design, Internet security services, protocol verification, and performance analysis.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- National Academy of Engineering (elected 2007) - For contributions to computer network protocols and network security services.
- ACM Software System Award (2004) - For inventing secure sockets and prototyping the first secure sockets layer, named Secure Network Programming (SNP), as a high-level abstraction suitable for securing Internet applications.
- ACM SIGCOMM Award (2004) which recognizes lifetime contribution to the field of communication networks.
- IEEE W. Wallace McDowell Award (2004) - For outstanding fundamental contributions in network protocols and security services.
- IEEE William R. Bennett Prize (2001)
- ACM Fellow (elected 1998)
- IEEE Fellow (elected 1985)
- IEEE Leonard G. Abraham Prize (1975)
- Teaching Excellence Award (2007), College of Natural Sciences, UT-Austin
- Hongkun Yang and Simon S. Lam, Real-time Verification of Network Properties Using Atomic Predicates, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2015; DOI: 10.1109/TNET.2015.2398197, IEEE Early Access Articles.
- Chen Qian and Simon S. Lam, A Scalable and Resilient Layer-2 Network with Ethernet Compatibility, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2014; DOI: 10.1109/TNET.2014.2361773, IEEE Early Access Articles.
- Simon S. Lam and Chen Qian, Geographic Routing in d-dimensional Spaces with Guaranteed Delivery and Low Stretch, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 21, No. 2, April 2013.
- Chung Kei Wong, Mohamed Gouda, and Simon S. Lam, Secure Group Communications Using Key Graphs, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 8, No. 1, Feb. 2000.
- Thomas Woo, Raghuram Bindignavle, Shaowen Su, and Simon S. Lam, SNP: An Interface for Secure Network Programming, Proceedings USENIX Summer Technical Conference, Boston, June 1994.
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 1995-1999; Editorial Board, 1992-2001
- Editorial Board, Computer Networks, 1999-2007
- Editorial Board, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 1990-1994
- Editor for Network Protocols, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 1984-1990
- Editorial Board, Performance Evaluation, 1981-1993
- Editorial Board, Proceedings of the IEEE, 1985-1989
- Co-founder of ACM SIGCOMM Conference in 1983
- Program Chair, ACM SIGCOMM Conference, Austin, Texas, 1983 (inaugural)
- Co-founder of IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols in 1993; Steering Committee member, 1993-2008
- Simon S. Lam, Principles of Communication and Networking Protocols, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1984.