Email:tandy [at] cs [dot] utexas [dot] edu
Warnow's research combines mathematics, computer science,and statistics to develop improved models and algorithms for reconstructing complex and large-scale evolutionary histories in both biology and historical linguistics.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 2011.
- National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award, 1994.
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation Award in Science and Engineering, 1996.
- Fellow at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Studies, 2003-2004.
- K. Liu, S. Raghavan, S. Nelesen, C. R. Linder, and T. Warnow. "Rapid and accurate largescale coestimation of sequence alignments and phylogenetic trees." Science, vol. 324, no. 5934, pp. 1561-1564, 19 June 2009.
- L. Nakhleh, D. Ringe, and T. Warnow. "Perfect Phylogenetic Networks: A New Methodology for Reconstructingthe Evolutionary History of Natural Languages". Language (Journal of the Linguistic Society of America), 81(2):382-420, 2005.
- L. Nakhleh, T. Warnow, C. R. Linder, and K. St. John. 2005. "Reconstructing reticulate evolution in species - theory and practice." The Journal of Computational Biology, 12(6-7), 796-811, 2005; special issue for selected papers from RECOMB 2004.
- T. Warnow, B.M.E. Moret, and K. St. John. 2001. "Absolute Convergence: True Trees From Short Sequences". ACM/SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA) 2001.
- L.-S. Wang and T. Warnow, 2006. "Reconstructing Chromosomal Evolution." SIAM J. Computing, Vol. 36, Issue 2, 99-131, 2006.
- Director, Cyberinfrastructure for Phylogenetic Research (CIPRES) project,2003-2010.
- Chair, BDMA study section of the National Institutes of Health.
- Co-chair, Organizing committee for the National Academy of Sciences Japanese-American Frontiers of Science, 2003.
- Member, Board of Directors, International Society for Computational Biology (2001-2004).
- Advisory Board, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 2006-present.
- Awards & Honors
- About Us
- Student Engagement and Support
- Masters Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Financial Information
- Prospective Students
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Portfolio Program in Robotics
- Curricular Practical Training
- Grad Student Talks
- UTCS Direct