Explore UT, a campus community engagement event held each March, aims to inform the public about the university's mission - teaching, research and public service. It invites Texans of all ages to experience the intellectual life, technological advances and rich resources of a world-class university. It helps them see how the university is shaping the future.
Thousands of people explore the Texas Computer Science program at Explore UT, discovering the fun of computer science, engaging in artificial intelligence, software programming, gaming, graphics and visualization, and chatting with academic advisers.
Ongoing actvities (11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.):
- RoboCup Teams in Action - Watch the UT Austin Villa robot soccer teams of Aldebaran Nao Humanoid Robots in action.
- Game Developers & Video Game Showcase with the Electronic Game Developer's Society (EGaDS!) - Play student developed games and earn what it takes to create one yourself.
- Programming the Next Generation with the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) - See the inside of a computer and learn how the parts work together!
- Autonomous Intelligent Robots with Professor Peter Stone - See the robots interact with people and respond intelligently depending upon the information they receive.
- Name the "Tower" Robot - Color the "Tower" robot and join the competition for the most clever robot name.
- Project Illuminate - See how Arduino open-source circuit lighting boards can be used to control programmable color changing lights.
- Program Your Own Robot with the Hispanic Association of Computer Scientists (HACS) - Learn basic programming and ask about our members' experiences in tech and at UT Austin.
- ABCSuccess with the Association of Black Computer Scientists (ABCS) - Learn about the networking and mentor support opportunities we provide to help our members achieve success.
- Create Algorithms with Women in Computer Science (WiCS) - Solve problems using algorithms that you create. Learn more about what WiCS does to promote diversity and inclusion.
- Computer Science Roadshow - Visit with Computer Science Roadshow, an outreach organization that aims to increase awareness and interest in computer science among K-12 students. We will have demonstrations of student projects and a fun interactive activity.
- Computer Science Experience for K-6th Graders, presented by the Computer Science Roadshow (11:00 am & 3:00 pm) - Explore and learn about the world of computer science with the Computer Science Roadshow. Discover how computer science can provide tools to help you to explore new ideas and possibly create and build the next big thing.
- Computer Science Experience for 7-12th Graders, presented by the Computer Science Roadshow (12:00 pm) - Take a guided virtual tour of human behavior, and see how virtual reality can be an effective tool to explore the process of how humans made decisions.
- How to Create Mobile Apps, presented by the Computer Science Roadshow (1:00 pm) - Join students members of the Computer Science Roadshow for a fun demonstration to learn the basics of how to create your own mobile app.
- An Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, presented by the Computer Science Roadshow (3:00 pm) - Join student members of the Computer Science Roadshow for an introduction to AI and robotics. Learn how these technologies play a part in our lives.
- The Challenges and Future of Computer Science: Understanding and Shaping the 3D World, presented by Professor Etienne Vouga (1:00 p.m.) - The third dimension (3D) is increasingly integrated with the technology that we use, from depth sensors to 3D printers and virtual reality goggles. Join Dr. Etienne Vouga to discuss the current state of emerging technologies and challenges for the future.