Schedule of Topics and Reading Assignments
Thursday, August 29 Introduction
Tuesday, Sept. 3 Introduction, continued
· Two Hindu legends:
· The birth of Durga
· The birth of Ganesha
Thursday, September 5 Early Legends and Stories
· D. L. Ashliman, “The Golem: A Jewish Legend”
· “The Creation of the Golem”
· Avram Davidson, “The Golem”
· E. T. A. Hoffmann, “The Sandman” (optional)
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (The Golem)
Tuesday, September 10 BDP Presentation
· Hans Christian Anderson, “The Nightingale”
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (The Nightingale)
Thursday, September 12 Mechanical Automata
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (Mechanical Automata)
· TURN IN your short project answers and come to class ready to present
Thursday, September 19 TED Talk Project presentations, continued
Tuesday, September 24 Pygmalion
· Ovid, the Pygmalion Myth
· Nathanial Hawthorne, “Downe’s Wooden Image”
· Giambattista Basile, “Pintosmalto”
· Bagrodia and Harris, “The Perfect Painting
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (Pygmalion)
Thursday, September 26 Doing Research at UT
· Alan Turing, “Can Machines Think?”
Tuesday, October 1 Discussions
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (The OED and the Library)
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (Metropolis)
· TERM PAPER DEADLINE: You must have met at least once with Amanda or me to talk about your term paper.
Tuesday, October 1 University Lecture Series (Hogg Memorial Auditorium, 7:00 pm)
Wednesday, October 2 University Lecture Series (Hogg Memorial Auditorium, 7:00 pm)
Thursday, October 3 University Lecture Series (Hogg Memorial Auditorium, 7:00 pm)
Thursday, October 3 The Turing Test
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (The Turing Test)
Tuesday, October 8 Discuss University Lectures
Key Ideas in Computing, continued
· TURN IN Notes from University Lecture
· TERM PAPER DEADLINE: Turn in a topic, a short, tentative outline, and, in the case of a research paper, a list of at least three sources.
Thursday, October 10 Key Ideas in Computing, continued
Tuesday, October 15 Key Ideas in Computing, continued
Wednesday, October 16 Kronos String Quartet with Laurie Anderson (Bass Concert Hall, 8:00pm)
Thursday, October 17 Artificial Intelligence
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (PCP)
Tuesday, October 22 The Turk, Chess and Other Games
Wednesday, October 23 Yamoto (Bass Concert Hall, 8:00pm)
Thursday, October 24 Discuss Yamoto
· Edgar Allan Poe, “Maelzel’s Chess Player”
· TURN IN Notecard (Maelzel’s Chess Player)
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (Common Sense I)
Tuesday, October 29 Visit to the Blanton
· TERM PAPER DEADLINE: Turn in the first draft of your paper.
Thursday, October 31 Movie: Frankenstein (71 minutes)
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (Common Sense II)
Tuesday, November 5 Discuss Blanton visit
Language and Communication
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (Frankenstein)
· Robert Bloch, “Almost Human”
Thursday, November 7 Robots
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (The Day the Earth Stood Still)
Tuesday, November 12 Robots
· Karel Čapek, R.U.R.
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (R.U.R.)
Thursday, November 14 What Makes Us Us?
Can We Do It?
· Douglas Hofstadter, “Sounds Like Bach”
· Murphy and Woods, “Beyond Asimov: The Laws of Responsible Robotics” (To get this on the web, you need to go through the UT library if you are off campus.)
· Ray Kurzweil, “Are We Spiritual Machines?”
· TURN IN Notecard (Hofstadter or Kurzweil or Murphy and Woods)
Tuesday, November 19 Should We Do It?
· Noel Sharkey, “The Ethical Frontiers of Robotics” (Science, Vol. 32, pp. 1800-1801)
· Marshall Brain, “Robotic Nation”, Parts 1 and 2
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (The Luddites)
· TERM PAPER DEADLINE: You should have visited the writing center at least once by now.
Thursday, November 21 More on Should we Do It?
Recap of Creativity
· Christopher Steiner, “Can Creativity be Automated?”
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (Creativity)
Friday, November 22 TERM PAPER DEADLINE: By 9:00 pm, submit electronically an almost final draft if you have written a short story.
Tuesday, November 26 Student paper presentations
Thursday, November 28 THANKSGIVING
Tuesday, December 3 Student paper presentations
Thursday, December 5 Final discussion
· Gordon Bell and Jim Gemmell, “Total Recall”
· TURN IN HOMEWORK (Can/Should We Do It?)
Friday, December 6
· TERM PAPER DEADLINE: Turn in the final draft of your paper (in my office).