Installation instructions for ACL2s on Linux
- At least 5GB of free hard drive space
- At least 4GB of RAM
- An Intel or AMD processor
These instructions are known to work on Ubuntu 20.04, and may work on
other platforms as well. If you run into any issues, feel free to
reach out to Drew.
- Ensure the following software is installed on your machine. If not,
install using your Linux distribution's package manager.
- Java 17 or greater (OpenJDK is fine too) (openjdk-17-jre or newer on Ubuntu)
- "Development tools" (build-essential on Ubuntu)
- If you are on an older version of Ubuntu, you may need to install libswt-gtk-4-jni and xutils-dev as well.
- Install Homebrew
- Go to brew.sh and copy-paste the
command starting with /bin/bash on the top of that page
into a terminal shell, then press enter. You only need to run that
single command, and can safely ignore the other instructions on
Homebrew's website. You may need to enter your password one or more
times throughout the process.
- Tap and install ACL2s
brew tap mister-walter/acl2s and then
brew install acl2s --force-bottle inside of a terminal. Do not follow any of Homebrew's suggestions regarding installing gcc.
- Install Eclipse
- Download Eclipse and unpack it somewhere on your computer.
- Run Eclipse by running
./eclipse/eclipse from the directory
that you unpacked the Eclipse package inside of.
- In the menu bar, click on Help → Install New Software...
- Click on "Add..." in the screen that comes up. In the resulting
window, enter ACL2s next to "Name:" and
http://cs2800.atwalter.com/p2 next to "Location". Then, click
"Add", which will close the pop-up.
- The middle of the window should now show "ACL2s Plugin Update
Site". Click on the checkbox to the left of it as well as the
"Handproof" item and click "Next>" at the bottom of the window.
- In the next window, click "Finish" at the bottom right of the
screen. If a pop-up appears that says "Trust" at the top and has two entries in a table at the top, click "Select All" and then "Trust Selected" at the bottom.
- After the installation is complete, Eclipse will ask you if you
would like to restart Eclipse. Select "Restart
Now". This will close Eclipse and reopen it.
- Get started with Eclipse by working through the ACL2s-tutorial.