Installation instructions for ACL2s on macOS
- at least 5GB of free hard drive space
- at least 4GB of RAM
- macOS Catalina (10.15), Big Sur (11), or Monterey (12)
Installation should take less than an hour, though installation time
will depend on your computer's specs and on the speed of your internet
connection. You can use your computer while the installation is
If you run into any issues, check out the ACL2s-installation-faq
A video walking through installation is available
- Determine if your Mac uses an M1 processor and check your macOS version
- Click on the Apple icon at the top left of the screen and
select "About This Mac". On the screen that pops up, check the
text next to "Processor" or "Chip". If the text includes
"Apple", you have an M1 processor in your Mac. Otherwise, if
the text includes "Intel", you have an x86 Mac.
- In the "About This Mac" window, double check that you are
running one of "macOS Catalina", "macOS Big Sur", or "macOS
Monterey". If you are using a different version of macOS, you
will likely need to use the Khoury Virtual Desktops
- Install Homebrew
- Open the Terminal app, either by searching for it or via
opening Finder and selecting Go -> Utilities in the menu bar,
and opening Terminal in that folder.
- Go to brew.sh and copy-paste the
command starting with /bin/bash on the top of that page
into a Terminal window, then press enter. You only need to run that
single command, and can safely ignore the other instructions on
Homebrew's website. You may need to enter your password one or more
times throughout the process.
- Tap and install ACL2s
brew tap mister-walter/acl2s and then
brew install acl2s --force-bottle inside of Terminal.
- Install Java
- Download and install Java 17 or 18. The easiest way to do this is to go to this link
and download either the Arm64 DMG installer (if you are on a M1
Mac) or the x64 DMG installer. Then, open the DMG and run the
installer inside of it.
- Install Eclipse
- Download the Eclipse version appropriate for your machine: M1
- Open the downloaded file and click and drag the Eclipse icon
into your Applications folder.
- If you already have Eclipse installed, you should still
install the version of Eclipse we provide here. If you need your
existing Eclipse install for another class, you can install Eclipse
for this class by dragging the Eclipse icon into a different folder
(for example, a folder on your Desktop) rather than Applications.
- Install the ACL2s Eclipse Plugin
- Open Eclipse, either by searching for it or via opening Finder
and selecting Go → Applications in the menu bar, and opening
Eclipse in that folder.
- Select the folder that you want to keep all of your CS2800 ACL2
files in. You can use the default choice if you like. You may
also want to check the box that says "Use this as the default
and do not ask again". Then, click "Launch".
- In the menu bar, click on Help → Install New Software...
- Click on "Add..." in the screen that comes up. In the resulting
window, enter ACL2s next to "Name:" and
http://cs2800.atwalter.com/p2 next to "Location". Then, click
"Add", which will close the pop-up.
- The middle of the window should now show "ACL2s Plugin Update
Site". Click on the checkbox to the left of it and click "Next>"
at the bottom of the window.
- In the next window, click "Finish" at the bottom right of the
screen. If a pop-up appears that says "Trust" at the top and has two entries in a table at the top, click "Select All" and then "Trust Selected" at the bottom.
- After the installation is complete, Eclipse will ask you if you
would like to restart Eclipse. Select "Restart
Now". This will close Eclipse and reopen it.
- Get started with Eclipse by working through the ACL2s-tutorial.