We used Python Anywhere to host a website as part of a 6 person group project for my Software Development class.
The point of this project was to use a database to serve a website that could be about pretty much whatever and to
learn and use different technologies. We decided to use it as a Magic: the Gathering information source. The site can
be seen here
. We built and used a mySQL database as the backend to serve the site and contain the information on cards, sets, and types. We did the project in 3 iterations,
each one building upon the last one.
The first iteration was the basics:
static pages using twitter bootstrap for the pages
making the API and DB models that would be used
write a 10 page technical paper about our site and everything we had done.
The second iteration was a bit more involved:
we had to turn all the static pages into dynamic ones, which required using python and the models to pull information from
the DB and parse it out such that it could then be passed to the HTML page and be rendered at the time of loading
we had to implement the database, create the schema and upload all the information to it. While the base requirements for the
project required about 10 pages per category with at least 3 categories. We have 3 categories, but over 2000 cards, 12 sets,
and 21 types. So our database has quite a lot of information.
we had to flesh out our API so that it would return the correct results in json format.
lastly we had to flesh out the technical report a bit. Make it at least 15 pages
The third iteration was a little bit simpler, but still challenging:
implement a search functionality for the site. Where you can search for anything in the 3 categories, and it will return options
for that keyword; cards, types, sets.
Use one of the other group's API and make a page on our site that uses that information.
finish up the unit tests for the models, and finish up the technical report, 20 pages total for this last version.
All in all, I learned a lot while doing this, and now have in interest in web design. Though there's still a lot I don't know and can learn.
I was in charge of both finding the raw information and for the Front-End Development of the site. The first iteration we were tasked with
getting the website up using only static pages. I built all of these using twitter bootstrap as a base. For the second iteration, we were
tasked with using the database to serve the webpages and I templated the pages necessary using Django tags in the HTML to display all the
information I got via python using the DB models. The third iteration was implementing a search functionality for the site and using another
group's API and make a page on our site.