Oswaldo Olivo (firstname.lastname@example.org, GitHub , Twitter
I'm a Graduate Research Assistant in Computer Science at UT Austin,
working in Security, Software Engineering and Program Analysis.
I'm very passionate about programming, finding ways to break programs, and
building tools for automatically detecting bugs and vulnerabilities.
My research consists in developing program analysis tools for detecting:
Denial-of-Service vulnerabilities in PHP applications (published in CCS '15).
Privacy leaks in PHP applications.
Functional and Performance bugs in Java applications (published in PLDI '15).
I'm always learning new technologies and developing prototypes that I intend to grow into mature research projects.
The following are some of my recent side projects:
TaintPHP. A static taint analysis
tool for PHP applications, useful for detecting Cross-Site Scripting (XSS),
SQL Injections (SQLi), and confidentiality vulnerabilities. Implemented
BluPhish. A Bluetooth security diagnostic tool. Implemented in Java, over the BlueCove Bluetooth Stack.
Microsoft Inc. (Redmond, WA.) Software Development Engineer Intern, June 2015-August 2015. Implemented a diagnostics tool for addressing customer account access incidents in Visual Studio Online, using HTML/JS/CSS and C#.
Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ.) Enabling Computing Technology Research Intern, June 2013-August 2013. Generated correctness proofs for standard compiler optimizations in LLVM. PI: Kedar Namjoshi.
Open-source project contributions:
Apache Collections: Proposed a collection algorithm that requires linear-time instead of quadratic-time, resulting in speed-ups larger than 200x. Reported performance bugs and proposed patches. Report IDs: COLLECTIONS-549, COLLECTIONS-534, COLLECTIONS-544, COLLECTIONS-545.
Apache Ant: Reported performance bugs and proposed patches. Report IDs: 57588.
Google Core Libraries: Reported performance bugs and proposed patches. Report IDs: 1868.
jEdit: Reported performance bugs and proposed patches for the IDE. Report IDs: 3904,3908.
MSc in Computer Science. The University of Texas at Austin. May 2013.
BSc in Computer Engineering. Universidad Simón Bolívar. April 2008.
- S. Dong, O. Olivo, L. Zhang, S. Khurshid.
An Empirical Study of the Influence of Compiler Optimizations on Symbolic Execution. 26th IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE '15).
- O. Olivo, I. Dillig, C. Lin.
Detecting and Exploiting Second Order Denial-of-Service Vulnerabilities in Web Applications.
22nd ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS '15).
- O. Olivo, I. Dillig, C. Lin.
Static Detection of Asymptotic Performance Bugs in Collection Traversals.
36th ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI '15).
- R. Samanta, O. Olivo, E. A. Emerson.
Cost-Aware Automatic Program Repair. 21st Static Analysis Symposium (SAS '14).
- L. Hadarean, T. King, K. S. Namjoshi, O. Olivo, V.N. Venkatakrishnan, and L. Zuck. The Construction of a Self-Certifying Compiler. Tech Report. (2014)
- O. Olivo, E. A. Emerson. On Hard Graph-Coloring Problems for Solvers. Brazilian Symposium in Formal Methods (SBMF '13).
- R. Samanta, O. Olivo, E. A. Emerson. Cost-Aware Automatic Program Repair. CoRR abs/1307.7281 (2013).
- O. Olivo, and E. A. Emerson. Improved Binary Decision Diagram Constraint Propagation
for Satisfiability Problems. 32nd International Conference of the
Chilean Computer Science Society (SCCC '12), November 12-14, 2012, Valparaiso, Chile.
IEEE Computer Society 2012.
- O. Olivo, and E. A. Emerson. A More Efficient BDD-Based QBF Solver.
17th International Conference on Principles and
Practice of Constraint Programming (CP '11). Perugia, Italy, pp.
- O. Olivo, S. Ray, J. Bhadra, and V. Vedula. A Unified Formal
Framework for Analyzing Functional and Speed-path Properties. In M. S.
Abadir, L. Wang, and J. Bhadra, editors, 12th
International Workshop on Microprocessor Test and Verification, Common
Challenges and Solutions (MTV '11), Austin, TX, USA, December 2011,
pp. 44-45. IEEE.
- S. Ray, O. Olivo, and W. Hunt. (2010). A Unified Formal Framework for
Analyzing Functional and Speed-path Properties. SRC Tech Report.
Publication ID. P058687. 2010.
- Arraiz, E., and Olivo, O. (2009). Competitive Simulated
Annealing and Tabu Search Algorithms for the Max-Cut Problem. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO '09), ACM. Montreal, Canada.
- Olivo, O., and Suarez, A. (2008) Proof Writing with Automatic Theorem Proving as an approach to Verify Program Correctness. First Chilean Workshop on Formal Methods, Punta Arenas, Chile, 2008. 28th
International Conference of the Chilean Computer Society, SCCC '09. IEEE Computer Society Press.