Users can now print to our printers when not connected directly to our network. Please direct any comments or questions about wireless printing that are outside the scope of this document to gripe.
- Go to Start -> Control Panel and select "View devices and printers" from the list under "Hardware and Sound".
- Select "Add a printer" at the top. Choose "Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer". Press "Stop" and click "The printer that I want isn't listed". Choose "Select a shared printer by name" and enter: https://grail.cs.utexas.edu:631/printers/lw# Where # is the number of the printer you want to add.
- It will attempt to connect and a window will pop up asking for a username and password. Enter your CS username and password and click OK.
- A new window will pop up asking you to select a driver. Choose the one that matches (or most closely matches) the printer you are adding and hit OK. It should say that the printer was successfully added. Click Next and you can choose to print a test page on the next screen or just click Finish.
- Make sure you have CUPS installed. Start your browser and point it to the URL: http://localhost:631/admin
- Click on "Add Printer". You will be prompted for a username and password. If you have sudo privileges, then enter your login name and password. In not, you'll need to login as root.
- On the next screen, select "Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)" and click "Continue". (If you are adding more than one printer, you won't have to select IPP a second time).
- On the next page, you'll need to fill in the "Connection" text box with: ipp://grail.cs.utexas.edu/printers/lw# Where # is the number of the printer you want to add and click "Continue".
- Name, description and location can be whatever you like. Pick the correct make of the printer (or something close); for the Kyocera printers you'll want to use Postscript.
- When printing from gnome apps, you will be prompted for a username and password. Make sure you use your CS login name and password.
- Open "System Preferences" and click on "Print and Fax". Click on the '+' and that will bring up a new window.
- Pick "IP" at the top of the window and choose "Internet Printing Protocol - IPP" for protocol.
- The "Address" is: grail.cs.utexas.edu and the "Queue" is the name of the printer you're adding with "printers/" prepended. For example, lw2 would be printers/lw2. For "Name" pick something that makes sense to you, and either choose whatever you like for "Location" or you can leave it blank. Then click "Add".
- After adding the printer, try and print something. You may be prompted to stop or continue. If you are, choose, "continue." A printer will appear in the dock with a red "1" (the red "1" won't show on some versions of MacOS) on it. Click on the printer. You should see your job in the queue with "On hold (Authentication r..." Click on the small round "Resume" icon to the right of your job and a dialog box will appear. Type in your CS username and password, click on OK, and your job should print on the newly added printer. You'll need to type your CS username and password each time you print or click the check box that adds it to your keychain. You'll have to change the password in the keychain if you change your CS password.
- Awards & Honors
- About Us
- Student Engagement and Support
- Masters Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Financial Information
- Prospective Students
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Curricular Practical Training
- Grad Student Talks
- UTCS Direct
- Audio & Visual
- Change SMTP/Outgoing Mail Password
- Cluster Node Status
- Grad Office Assignments
- Lab Software Request Form
- Laptop Encryption
- List of Public UNIX Hosts
- Meeting Rooms
- Public Labs
- Shop Req (Hardware Issues/Requests)
- Software Downloads
- System Status Blog
- Tech Staff Updates Blog
- UTCS IT Policies