Getting Knowledge From Expert
- Watch (and videotape) the expert doing examples. Encourage expert
to talk aloud about actions, strategy and reasoning behind conclusions. Ask
questions to keep expert talking.
- Focus on a test case and build a system to handle that
case as soon as possible.
- Review initial system with expert; fix as needed.
- Add rules related to existing rules to expand coverage.
- Try additional test cases; fix as errors are found.
- Rewrite and restructure the whole system when needed.
- The order in which the expert asks questions is an important clue to
the strategy being used. Ordering is also an important component of expert
knowledge in some domains, especially design.