Professor of Computer Science
Phone number: 512-471-9794
2317 Speedway, M/S D9500
The University of Texas
Austin, TX 78712-0233
- I was recently promoted to full professor!
- I recently co-founded Veridise, a company that provides security solutions for blockchain applications.
- I was the Program Committee Chair for PLDI'22
- I am currently serving on the ACM SIGPLAN Executive Committee and co-chairing SIGPLAN Awards together with Tony Hosking .
- For latest papers, check out my publications!
I am a professor at the computer science department of the University of Texas at Austin where I lead the UToPiA research group. My main research interests are program analysis and verification, program synthesis, and automated logical reasoning.
I obtained all my degrees (BS, MS, PhD) at Stanford University. I am a 2015 Sloan Fellow and a recipient of an NSF CAREER award.
My main research interests are program analysis/verification, program synthesis, and automated logical reasoning.
I am interested in developing tools and novel techniques to make software systems more secure and reliable.
In particular, my research focuses on automatically proving the absence of certain classes of errors and security vulnerabilities in software. These days, I am particularly interested in techniques for automatically synthesizing programs from formal or informal specifications, such as input-output examples, natural language, or reference implementations. I am also very interested in applications of such techniques in security, data science, and databases.
My current research combines ideas from programming languages, symbolic logic, and machine learning to tackle a variety of interesting problems. If you want to learn more, please check out my publications !
- CS311H: Honors Discrete Mathematics (CS Business Honors)
- CS311H: Honors Discrete Mathematics (Turing Scholars)
- CS389L: Automated Logical Reasoning.
- Post-docs: Kia Rahmani (co-advised with Joydeep Biswas)
- PhD students: Jiayi Wei , Greg Anderson, Jon Stephens , Jocelyn Chen , Shankara Pailoor , Ben Mariano , Ben Sepanski , Ziteng (Zetten) Wang , Celeste Barnaby , Ian Kretz, Noah Patton (co-advised with Joydeep Biswas)
- Chair or co-chair: PLDI'22, MAPS'21, CAV'19, VMCAI'18, PLMW at POPL'16, PLDI'15 SRC, PLDI'14 SRC, OOPSLA'14 SRC, PLDI'13 SRC, OOPSLA'13 SRC
- Program Committees: PLDI'21, PLDI'20, CAV'18, PLDI'18, POPL'18, CAV'17, SNAPL'17, OOPSLA'16, PLDI'16, CAV'15, ESOP'15, HVC'14, ECOOP'14, ESOP'14, SAS'13, POPL'13, OOPSLA'12, PLDI'12 SRC
- External Program Committees: OOPSLA'20, PLDI'19, OOPSLA'19
- External Review Committees: POPL'16, OOPSLA'13
- Best paper awards : CHI'21 Best Paper Award, OOPSLA'20 distinguished paper award, PLDI'19 distinguished paper award, PLDI'18 distinguished paper award, OOPSLA'17 distinguished paper award, ETAPS'17 Best Paper Award, PLDI'08 paper selected as CACM Research Highlight
- Honors: Selected as Sloan Fellow 2015 , NSF CAREER Award 2015.
- Keynote talks: VMCAI'22, ETAPS'21, OOPSLA'19, DBPL'19
- Other: OOPSLA'12 Distinguished Reviewer Award
- From grad school: Stanford Graduate Fellowship, 2008-2010; Forbes School of Engineering Fellowship, 2006-2007.
- Undergrad and older: Wegbreit Award for the best CS honors thesis (Stanford, 2006); Firestone Medal for undergraduate research (Stanford, 2006); Frederick E. Terman Engineering Award for outstanding achievement in engineering (Stanford, 2006); Mary Mills Patrick Award (Robert College, 2002); Dora Aksoy Award for Excellence in Mathematics (Robert College, 2002).
I am originally from Istanbul, Turkey and moved to the United States to pursue my undergraduate studies at Stanford University after finishing high school at the beautiful Robert College.
Outside of work, I enjoy hiking, traveling, photography, and scuba diving. I love taking photos, and you can check out some of my photography here.
You can also find out a bit more about me through this interview conducted for the People of PLDI project!
My first name is pronounced as "Ishil" rather than "Isil".