2317 Speedway, M/S D9500
The University of Texas
Austin, TX 78712-0233
Phone number: 512-471-9794
Group webpage: http://utopia.cs.utexas.edu/
I am an associate professor at the computer science department of the University of Texas at Austin where I lead the UToPiA research group . My main research interests are program analysis and verification, program synthesis, and automated logical reasoning.
I obtained all my degrees (BS, MS, PhD) at Stanford University . I am a 2015 Sloan Fellow and a recipient of an NSF CAREER award.
My main research interests are static program analysis/verification, program synthesis, and automated logical reasoning.
I am interested in developing tools and novel techniques to make software systems more secure and reliable.
In particular, my research focuses on automatically proving the absence of certain classes of errors (e.g., memory safety errors, assertion failures etc.) and security vulnerabilities in software. I am also interested in techniques for automatically synthesizing programs from formal or informal specifications.
You can learn more about my research by checking out my publications or through the UToPiA group web page !
- CS311H: Honors Discrete Mathematics. (Taught every fall since 2014)
- CS389L: Automated Logical Reasoning. (Taught every spring since 2015)
- PhD students: Yuepeng Wang , Kostas Ferles , Jiayi Wei , Greg Anderson, Jon Stephens , Jocelyn Chen, Shankara Pailoor, Rong Pan, Ben Mariano, Sridhar Gopinath
- Undergraduate students: Rushi Shah , Maruth Goyal, James Dong, Abby Criswell, Rahul Krishnan
- Chair or co-chair: CAV'19, VMCAI'18, PLMW at POPL'16, PLDI'15 SRC, PLDI'14 SRC, OOPSLA'14 SRC, PLDI'13 SRC, OOPSLA'13 SRC
- Program Committees: PLDI'20, CAV'18, PLDI'18, POPL'18, CAV'17, SNAPL'17, OOPSLA'16, PLDI'16, CAV'15, ESOP'15, HVC'14, ECOOP'14, ESOP'14, SAS'13, POPL'13, OOPSLA'12, PLDI'12 SRC
- External Program Committees: PLDI'19, OOPSLA'19
- External Review Committees: POPL'16, OOPSLA'13
- Best paper awards : PLDI'19 distinguished paper award, PLDI'18 distinguished paper award, OOPSLA'17 distinguished paper award, ETAPS'17 Best Paper Award, PLDI'08 paper selected as CACM Research Highlight
- Honors: Selected as Sloan Fellow 2015 , NSF CAREER Award 2015.
- Other: OOPSLA'12 Distinguished Reviewer Award
- From grad school: Stanford Graduate Fellowship, 2008-2010; Forbes School of Engineering Fellowship, 2006-2007.
- Undergrad and older: Wegbreit Award for the best CS honors thesis (Stanford, 2006); Firestone Medal for undergraduate research (Stanford, 2006); Frederick E. Terman Engineering Award for outstanding achievement in engineering (Stanford, 2006); Mary Mills Patrick Award (Robert College, 2002); Dora Aksoy Award for Excellence in Mathematics (Robert College, 2002).
I am originally from Istanbul, Turkey and moved to the United States to pursue my undergraduate studies at Stanford University after finishing high school at the beautiful Robert College .
Outside of work, I enjoy hiking, traveling, photography, and scuba diving. I love taking photos, and you can check out some of my photography here.
You can also find out a bit more about me through this interview conducted for the People of PLDI project!
My first name is pronounced as "Ishil" rather than "Isil".