June 23-29, 2019
Code Longhorn is a free, one-week residential camp program for high school students (boys and girls), especially students from historically underrepresented groups in the field of computer science. It is designed to dispel myths about computer science, intrigue students with the potential of computing and the excitement of problem solving. The camp includes team-building activities, educational sessions, and recreation.
Is Computer Science for you?
- Do you like taking a large problem and thinking through how to break it up and make it solvable?
- Do you like to organize things?
- Do you like learning new ways to solve old problems?
- Do you like puzzles, math, and using logic to figure things out?
- If you’ve had a chance to take a computer science or programming class, did you enjoy it? Were you good at it?
- Are you creative?
If you answered "yes" to some of these, the Code Longhorn Summer Camp may be just what you're looking for this summer. No advanced math or prior programming experience is required. What is required is curiosity about the most powerful artifact the human race has ever built.
Through Code Longhorn You Can:
- See how computers solve real-world problems in medicine, the arts, and more.
- Use your problem-solving and reasoning skills to explore real computer science.
- Get hands-on programming experience and feel the thrill of getting a computer to do what you tell it to do.
- Visit research labs and learning abut the newest technology.
- Work in a team.
- Find out about the wide variety of jobs you can have as a computer scientist.
- Enjoy a taste of university life and,
- Have a week of computer science fun!
Accepted applicants will be housed on campus in one of our housing complexes. Counselor to camper ratios will be maintained at 1:10.
Our sponsors will provide for ALL COSTS of the camp except travel to and from the UT Austin campus. Keep in mind parking on campus can be challenging and expensive. Parking expenses will not be covered.
A wait list will be developed for no-shows and cancellations.
- You must be a high school student entering your junior or senior year in fall 2018.
- You must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 (80 out of 100) or higher.
- You must be a Texas resident.
You must submit your application and have any mailed items postmarked by Friday, March 13, 2019 to be considered for the 2019 camps.
Before my senior year of high school, I still had no idea where I wanted to go to college, or what I wanted to major in. I was interested in coding as a hobby, but had really never considered making it my career. At Code Longhorn, however, I had the chance to talk to students and professors who could tell me exactly what it was like to study computer science and make it into a career. Seeing these people and seeing the amazing UT Computer Science facilities really was the biggest factor in drawing me to this field, and I made friends that I still have today.
-- Chris Nunes, Freshman UTCS 2017