First Bytes Summer Camp is a one-week residential camp program for high school girls. It is designed to dispel myths about computer science and intrigue young women with the potential of computing and the excitement of problem solving.
First Bytes and Code Longhorn applications closed on March 18.
Camp selections are being made at this time.
Notification of selection is April 17 (was April 3).
Applications for First Bytes and Code Longhorn are now closed.
When/Where are the Camps?
We will offer two First Bytes Summer Camps in 2020: May 31 - June 6, 2020 (sophomores) and June 7 - June 13, 2020 (juniors/seniors) on the UT-Austin campus. We will accept the 60 registrants for each of the camps.
Who Can Attend?
First Bytes for Sophomores is open to females going into 10th grade in fall 2020. First Bytes for Juniors/Seniors is open to females going into 11th and 12th grades in fall 2020.
What Will We Be Doing?
- Working with a team and getting hands-on programming experience - feel the thrill of getting a computer to do what you tell it to do.
- Finding out how computers solve real-world problems in medicine, the arts, and more.
- Hearing about cool new technologies from professors and other students.
- Meeting industry professionals from top tech companies.
- Using your problem-solving and reasoning skills to explore real computer science.
- Visiting research labs and learning abut the newest technology.
- Finding out about the wide variety of jobs you can have as a computer scientist.
- Meeting with the UT admissions team and hearing about ways to make your UT college application stand out among the rest.
- Interacting with other students who enjoy technology as much as you do!
- Enjoying a taste of university life in the evening: bowling, playing games, watching a movie and,
- Having a week of computer science fun!
Do I have to have previous programming experience?
No experience? No problem! It is necessary to be curious and interested in programming and computer science.
Campers are supervised at all times. There are a maximum of 60 campers per camp. Staff to camper ratios will be 1:10. Accepted applicants and staff will be housed on campus in one of our housing complexes.
Housing and Food
Campers reside in one of the residential halls on campus. Campers will stay two to a room. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and small snacks are provided for all campers. If you have food allergies, please note that on your waiver and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Alison Norman, M.S and Ph.D. in Computer Science and Associate Professor for Instruction will be teaching students the lab portion of the camps. Camp Directors Tiffany Buckley and Mary Esther Middleton have worked for the Department of Computer Science for 15+ years on summer camps, admissions, enrollment, student organizations and diversity initiatives.
- You must be female.
- First Bytes for Sophomores: high school students entering your sophomore year in fall 2020.
- First Bytes for Juniors/Seniors: high school students entering your junior or senior year in fall 2020.
- You must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 (80 out of 100) or higher.
- You must be a Texas resident.
Cost of Camp
Our sponsors will provide for ALL COSTS of the camp except travel to and from the UT Austin campus. Keep in mind parking on campus can be challenging and expensive. Parking expenses will not be covered.
You must submit your application and have any mailed items postmarked by Wednesday, March 18, 2020 to be considered for the 2020 camps.
A wait list will be developed for no-shows and cancellations. If you are accepted and then have to cancel, please notify us as early as possible so that someone may have that space.