Users can now print to our printers when not connected directly to our network. Please direct any comments or questions about wireless printing that are outside the scope of this document to help.
- Go to Start -> Control Panel and select "View devices and printers" from the list under "Hardware and Sound".
- Select "Add a printer" at the top. Choose "Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer". Press "Stop" and click "The printer that I want isn't listed". Choose "Select a shared printer by name" and enter: https://grail.cs.utexas.edu:631/printers/lw# Where # is the number of the printer you want to add.
- It will attempt to connect and a window will pop up asking for a username and password. Enter your CS username and password and click OK.
- A new window will pop up asking you to select a driver. Choose the one that matches (or most closely matches) the printer you are adding and hit OK. It should say that the printer was successfully added. Click Next and you can choose to print a test page on the next screen or just click Finish.
- Make sure you have CUPS installed. Start your browser and point it to the URL:
- Click on "Add Printer". You will be prompted for a username and password. If you have sudo privileges, then enter your login name and password. If not, you'll need to login as root.
- On the next screen, select "Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)" and click "Continue". (If you are adding more than one printer, you won't have to select IPP a second time).
- On the next page, you'll need to fill in the "Connection" text box with: ipp://grail.cs.utexas.edu/printers/lw# Where # is the number of the printer you want to add and click "Continue".
- Name, description, and location can be whatever you like. Pick the correct make of the printer (or something close); for the Kyocera printers, you'll want to use Postscript.
- When printing from gnome apps, you will be prompted for a username and password. Make sure you use your CS login name and password.
- Open "System Preferences" and click on "Print and Fax". Click on the '+' and that will bring up a new window.
- Pick "IP" at the top of the window and choose "Internet Printing Protocol - IPP" for the protocol.
- The "Address" is: grail.cs.utexas.edu and the "Queue" is the name of the printer you're adding with "printers/" prepended. For example, lw2 would be printers/lw2. For "Name" pick something that makes sense to you, and either choose whatever you like for "Location" or you can leave it blank. Then click "Add".
- You will get an error message about not being able to contact grail.cs.utexas.edu. Click on Continue.
- After adding the printer, try and print something. When the printer appears in the dock, open the printer. Then click on the circular arrow, this should bring up a login dialog box.
- Make sure you use your CS username and password, click on OK, and your job should print on the newly added printer.
Note: You'll need to type your CS username and password each time you print or click the checkbox that adds it to your keychain. You'll have to change the password in the keychain if you change your CS password.
You should now be able to print wirelessly. If you have questions or problem reports, please send mail to help.