Please use this checklist to ensure that you are submitting all the materials necessary. Note: For application to the UTCS graduate program, you are required to submit materials via both the ApplyTexas and the CS Department Supplement applications.
1) Submit via www.ApplyTexas.org:
- Application for admission
- Application fee
- Transcripts (1) – Within 48 hours of the submission of your application, you will receive an email from the Graduate and International Admissions Center directing you to the MyStatus page where you will be asked to upload your transcripts. Please do not mail these credentials. For additional information regarding the submission of transcripts to UT-Austin, please see https://gradschool.utexas.edu/how-to-apply
2) Submit via CS Department Supplement:
- Statement of purpose - approximately 2 pages describing reasons for pursuing graduate study and academic and professional interests and goals. This may include events/experiences that prepared you for CS graduate study and how your interests complement the department's faculty and research.
- Transcripts (2) - The department will not view the transcripts you upload to the MyStatus page; you must provide us with separate copies through the CS Department Supplement.
- Three letters of reference – You must supply your references’ names and email addresses to the CS Department Supplement [This information is not downloaded from ApplyTexas.] Letter requests will be sent from the CS Department, and letters will be uploaded by your references to the CS department supplement. Letters should emphasize research experience and academic achievements, particularly in computer science. Letters of recommendation should be received by December 19, 2017 (17:00 CST) for full consideration.
- GRE and (international students only) TOEFL or IELTS scores
- Optional: CV and up to three publications. CV should also include a scan of any aid award letter that has award details such as NSF, Fulbright, etc.
3) An official report of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. Please request that ETS send official test scores to UT-Austin. (UT-Austin code 6882 – you do not need a departmental code).
4) An official score report for the TOEFL or IELTS (international students only). Scores must be sent to the university by the testing agency. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) institution code for the TOEFL is 6882. It is not necessary to use a department code. To fulfill the requirement with scores from the IELTS, have an official paper score report sent to the Graduate and International Admissions Center.
We do not evaluate applications on a rolling basis. An application is evaluated on its own merits and in comparison to all the applications for a given year. Review typically begins in late December, with decisions made by early spring.